17 March 2010

Hometown Hero: Skewby

Whoever said hard work doesn't pay off hasn't met this guy.

I love my city and I wear it on my heart proudly, but musically it's never stimulated me. Growing up listening to the sounds of Al Capone, 3 6 Mafia, and Gangsta Boo on my radio made me a little skeptical of the substance of Memphis rappers. (Not to say that I don't like them because I do, they just doesn't hold a very high caliber of lyricism.) However, the homie Skewby has definitely proved me and everyone else that thought Memphis didn't harbor lyricists wrong! Thanks to the wonderful people at Sneak Peek - Memphis, I was introduced to a young man that had punch lines and metaphors for days as well as the swag to go with it. Skewby dropped his mixtape "Proving You Wrong Since 1988" in September of 2009 and his popularity has been steadily climbing ever since. He even got the opportunity to open for Lil Wayne on his Farewell tour when it came to Memphis!

Yesterday, through Twitter, he found out that he had been featured in The Source Magazine under "Unsigned Hype". What an accomplishment! Im extremely happy and proud to see someone from Memphis being honored for something positive and not ridiculed for being on The First 48. This is a great accomplishment and I just wanna send out a BIG congrats to Skewby.

Download the mixtape here: http://skewby.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment